Tuesday, February 3, 2009

It paid off

Tonight I was watching the nightly news and Brian Williams was interviewing our lovely president. I hadn't said a word and Ty looked at the tv and said, "Look mom, it's Obana." I was astounded that he remembered who that was because the only time we talked about him was on inauguration day. I thought it was pointless for me to talk about him, but obviously he pays attention to a few things I say which isn't very much lately.

Ty has been testing my patience and parenting skills the last few days, I hope it doesn't last for too long. Normally he loves Tatum but right now, he will go out of his way to push her down. If she is standing Ty will grab one of her feet and then she falls on her face, it's horrible. Tatum will cry and he will say, "it's ok Tatum, don't cry." My immediate instinct is to do the same thing to him that he did to her so that he knows that it hurts her when he does that but I have to tell myself to take a deep breath and don't immediately react. I know this is all normal stuff but I just don't like getting frustrated with Ty, it doesn't make me feel like a good mommy. I think part of Ty's frustration is that he wants alone time with mom or dad but Tatum only naps for about an hour a day so there isn't much alone time for him to play with me. So Ty is seeking attention but it's negative attention. So tonight I was so overly corny and cheesy with Ty about everything he did that was good, he totally bought into it. I just need to keep doing it. I am just thankful that my kids go to bed around 7pm everynight and I get some good quiet tv time at the end of each day.

1 comment:

The Neyens Family said...

Haha!! You are too funny! You are a good patient mommy!! They love to push our buttons that is for sure!!!