Sunday, November 15, 2009

Ty's Lightning McQueen Birthday Cake

Ty loves the movie Cars. After we went to his buddy Xavier's birthday party and he had a Lightning McQueen cake, Ty insisted on having a Lightning McQueen cake too! My intention was to make a double-layer cake and then carve it to the shape of Lightning McQueen. Well... when I tried to get the cakes out of the pan the middles stuck to the pan so I improvised. I ended up putting the sheet cakes side by side and making them a checkered flag and using the Lightning McQueen cake pan that I got from Lianna and put that on top of the flag. I made a marhsmallow cream fondant that was very sticky but very easy to make to make all of the cakes. It took a lot of time and there are a lot of imperfections to the cake but it was worth it. Ty was amazed at his cake and that's what matters the most.

Ty is "reading" me directions on how to bake the cake.
I made a huge mess, used every bowl we owned when making the fondants, I think Pat thought our kitchen was never going to be the same. If you don't know Pat, he can be a little anal and when he saw the mess, he tried not to start convulsing, hehe.




I layered the cakes with whipped frosting first and then I cut out squares from the black and white fondants to make the checkered flag.

There it is, not perfect but Ty loved it!

2 comments:

jenny keller said...

good job Kelsey!

The McFarlane Family said...

I'm super impressed! That you tried it mostly and that it turned out that well!